[78-L] Durium Hit of the Week 'Hoard'

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sun Jul 26 20:22:50 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert M. Bratcher Jr." <bratcher at pdq.net>
> So how do play a warped one? Put a heavy weight around the spindle or
> something?

Actually, I used to use a VERY large nut (in the nut/bolt sense) which I
found
in my street...I think it was a "lug nut" for a tractor-trailer wheel. It
was about
2" in effective diameter, so it neatly fit inside the "label" area...and was
heavy
enough to flatten a warped HOW (or similar plastic record, like Goodson,
Phonycord, et al), so that they rotated at the TT speed  with NO slippage.

Therefore, you need an object which (1) has a centre hole larger than the
typical record centre hole...and (2) weighs at least a pound (454g)! I have
NO idea whether these "18-wheeler lug nuts" can be bought new from
truck-part dealers...or whether you simply have to search street/roadsides
for lost examples...?!

...stevenc