[78-L] Looking for record sleeve info:

estott at localnet.com estott at localnet.com
Sun Jul 26 17:26:25 PDT 2009

While there is all this talk of record sleeves I have a request. In
1928 Victor recorded two winners of an American Composition contest
(details copied below) I am given to undestand that the disc was issued
with a special sleeve with explanatory text. Does anyone out there have
a copy? It's for Victor 3600 "Two American Sketches" and "Song of the
Bayou"

Eric Stott

"In 1928 In 1928 Nat Shilkret established a competition for the best
modern American composition. The grand prize of $10,000 was awarded to
a composer of enormous talent and no reputation, Thomas Griselle
(1891-1955). Griselle was Ohio-born and had studied at the Cincinnati
College of Music. After World War I he became a recording director at
the Gennett Studio in New York City, and later recorded piano duets for
Edison. Upon winning the prize, Griselle went to Europe and studied
with both Nadia Boulanger and Arnold Schönberg. The titles of his
works, such as "Cubist Foxtrot" and "Czerny Pilots a Flying Saucer" are
intriguing, but Griselle?s output has yet to be investigated by
scholars. The "Nocturne" movement of Griselle?s Two American Sketches
became a sort of underground standard in the Big Band era, and was
recorded by Artie Shaw and John Kirby among others.

The second prize of $5,000 was given to a much better known composer,
Rube Bloom (1902-1976). Completely self-taught in music, Bloom was
already established by 1928 through his popular novelty ragtime pieces
such as "Soliloquy" and "Spring Fever". He would later distinguish
himself in composing popular songs that have since become standards,
such as "Give Me the Simple Life" and "Fools Rush In" (written with
Johnny Mercer). Song of the Bayou is one of only a few pieces that
Bloom wrote with the concert hall in mind, the rest of his output being
in a purely popular vein."