[78-L] Price's Price

Malcolm Smith malcolms at redshift.com
Sun Jul 26 08:03:57 PDT 2009

I started collecting records in New York in the early fifties and the
typical price was 2 dollars for single sided records and 4 dollars
for double sided records. This was for the records one found in 'the
racks'! A typical record that I bought in those days cost between 30
dollars and 125 dollars. I didn't buy a lot of records. There were
some that went much higher (bought by other collectors). One vocal
record sold at that time brought 1,700 dollars and another I'm
familiar with was an unpublished Nordica which I wrote about before.
It brought 1,300 dollars. Again, these are records I'm familiar with
and the prices on auction lists (nearly all from abroad). I collected
classical vocal records and an occasional jazz record that I
encountered though I was not looking for them and did not receive
lists from dealers listing them. I do remember being offered an
unpublished Bessie Smith for 250 dollars.

The guides I remember seeing in those days were pure fiction.

Malcolm Smith.