[78-L] goon show Q. for British listers

Stephen Davies SDavies at mtroyal.ca
Sun Jul 26 08:00:33 PDT 2009

How did the Goon canon get named?  Spike would often rearrange the name for
each announcement during the program, sometimes going off in a different
direction.  It's too bad that writing that show stressed him out to the
max.
Repetition can make comedy writing easier, so he also wrote:
Have a coolie.
Have a noodle.
&
Have a gorilla.
No, here, try one of my monkeys.  They're milder.

Some of his catchphrases made it to 78rpm, but I've only got them on 45rpm.
Milligan wrote some very funny books, and published a lot of
inconsequential junk.  However, I remember reading a collection of his
letters in the 1970's in which he writes to a shampoo company complaining
about the excess packaging used to present their product on the shelf.  (Do
you remember when every shampoo bottle stood in it's own display box on the
shelf?)  That very early green concept impressed me a great deal.

- Stephen D
Calgary

addressed, and may contain confidential, personal, and or privileged
information. Please contact the sender immediately if you are not the
intended recipient of this communication, and do not copy, distribute, or
take action relying on it. Any communication received in error, or