[78-L] Price's Price

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Sat Jul 25 21:54:20 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Cary Ginell" <soundthink at live.com>
> Yeah, well, you know how we feel about Mr. Docks. He is about as popular
> as the esteemed Mr. Whitburn. Docks's estimate of the value of this record
> is based on an E copy or better. What condition is yours in?

Mr. Docks  was a self-selected example of an all-too-common MISbelief that
EVERY collecting
hobby NEEDS an "Official Price Guide!" Since he failed to offer to purchase
78's at his dubious
values, his dubious volumes (we shall here ignore his willingness to accept
Whitburn's presumed
"Billboard rankings" as acceptable data?!) his works are essentially
woth...well, SFA!!

So far, the essential point of 78 collecting is, "because we LIKE the music
thereupon!"
The harsh reality is this...78rpm phonorecords are for the most part worth
about one
buck per each...and have been since around 1941!

Hey, if 78's are suddenly worth an inflation-derived $20 per each...I can
sell my
55,058 phonorecords for $1,101,160, and retire comfortably...?!

Comment ca va?!

Steven C. Barr