[78-L] Motown on 78 and weird Filipino labels

agp agp2176 at verizon.net
Sat Jul 25 14:15:54 PDT 2009

The other night my wife and I walked a documentary film called
Standing in teh Shadows of Motwon - the Story of the Funk Brothers.
The Funk Brothers were the studio musicians on the vast majority of
Motown hits of the 60s. Of course this extended back to the late 50s
for Barry Gordy's earliest releases. This got me thinking about 2
things .. Motown on 78 and those odd labels in the Philippines.

Of course Motwon had no 78s in the USA. Motown stuff did come out on
78 elsewhere though. And example is a 78 of Please Mister Postman by
the Marvellettes on Grand in the Philippines. Somewhere around here I
have an image of Tamla label 78 (via Dyna) also from the the
Philippines. I have every reason to believe that Motown 78s (not with
that label) may have come out in India and South America.

This leads to a quick thought about the weird labels for 78s in the
Philippines. For example: the local versions of Sun, Liberty, and
Monument. Sun had Ricky Nelson releases from Imperial, Liberty had
releases by the Everly Brothers, and Monument by Bobby Vee and the
Ventures--- each copying the label trademarks as used in the USA.
Other odd labels include Lancer with Elvis releases, Era with all the
Cameo/ Parkway stuff, etc.

So I wonder -- 2 questions:

Anyone know of any Motown related 78s?

How did companies in the Philippines come to appropriating the names
of 3 well know US record companies? Is/ was the biz there as legally
slippery as that throughout southeast asia?