[78-L] Al Hirt

Bill McClung bmcclung at ix.netcom.com
Thu Jul 23 20:32:04 PDT 2009

Today in Shreveport I found a 78 I hadn't seen before.    It is Trappey's 1702 by Yates Yamsters.   On the label it says "Copyright 1954 by B.F. Trappey's Sons, Inc. & Sewell Thompson & Caire Advertising Agency."

Jack Yates, organ; Al Hirt, trumpet: Hank Kamen, tenor sax & clarinet: Lou Castillo, timbales: Tito Gil, gourd.   The song on both sides is "Torrido Samba."  One side is an instrumental and the other side has vocals by Margie O'Dair and Tito Gil.

Margie O'Dair sang on New Orleans radio and appeared in the films "Big Easy" and Clint Eastwood's "Tightrope."  Trappey's was a legendary New Iberia, Louisiana, manufacturer of spices and hot sauces.

Is this Al Hirt's first recording?

Bill McClung
bmcclung at ix.netcom.com
EarthLink Revolves Around You.