[78-L] Columbia Archive Series

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Wed Jul 22 20:24:40 PDT 2009

When CBS bought the American Record Corporation in 1938, Brunswick was part of
the deal. They phased out the Brunswick label in favor of Columbia over the
next couple of years and that somehow violated an original contract that
required Brunswick to continue as a 75-cent label. CBS Columbia eventually got
to keep all Brunswick and ARC material dating from 1932 on (or late December
1931) and earlier Brunswick stuff was bought by Decca in 1942. During the 30s,
Columbia existed as a classical label with a few popular recordings, 20s stuff
still worth keeping in print and European recordings, as part of ARC.

Probably a lot more complicated than that but you get the idea.

dl