[78-L] audio software

zimrec at juno.com zimrec at juno.com
Wed Jul 22 19:43:02 PDT 2009

>> From: joe at salerno.com <jsalerno at earthlink.net>>
>> Subject: [78-L] audio software
>> To: "78-l" <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>>
>> Date: Monday, 20 July, 2009, 6:35 PM
>>

>> Is there a program that will graphically display pitch? Like a
>> horizontal bar chart?
>>
>> I'm thinking in terms of correcting pitch/speed variation here
>>
>> joe salerno

>Christopher Steward wrote:
>Try Sonic Visualiser. It's a free program that gives the pitch of a note very
>precisely when you point the mouse at the trace on the frequency spectrum. (It also does
>lots of other stuff.)
>Chris

I copied some of the audio software thread to Craig Maier, one of the partners in the Diamond Cut Audio Restoration Tools.  Following is a slightly edited copy of two separate emails I responses that I received:

The Diamond Cut Live/Forensics v.7.5 has a very high definition spectrogram.  With it, you can cover the entire screen with signals from between as small as 59 Hz to 61 Hz with millihertz resolution.  I have never seen an electrical recording in which I cannot find the original hum signature and with this feature one can always correct to the original recording speed.

The High Definition Spectrogram in v.7.5 uses up to 131,072 FFTs and Decimation up to x 64 making line frequency spectral lines very easy to view with extremely high frequency resolution.  The system also has the option to Zero Pad should the user prefer to optimize for time resolution.  The Forensics world is using this feature to authenticate recordings as originals, not having edits or dubs.

Art