[78-L] AFM recording band [was Decca's Music of Our Time series]

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Jul 21 08:46:23 PDT 2009

David Lennick wrote:
> Stephen Davies wrote:
>>         I have the set on 78rpm from 1916 - 1944, and am now looking for
>> duplicates.  It is odd to see how Decca sat on these recordings for
>> several years until they were ready to start releasing them.
>
> Easy..there was a shellac shortage! It made more sense to get as much mileage
> out of Bing and a few a capella hits by The Song Spinners, and then use the
> alloted shellac for Oklahoma! and other guaranteed hits. A lot of recordings
> from 1942-45 weren't issued till 1950 and some were never brought out.
>
> dl
With the shellac shortage, even without the AFM ban, recording activity
would probably have been much reduced.

I get the impression that most band leaders weren't that enthusiastic
about or supportive of the ban, otherwise why would they have rushed to
stockpile recordings before it came into operation?

       Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4264 (20090721) __________

http://www.eset.com