[78-L] "Folk" music...?!

David Weiner djwein at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 19 21:21:30 PDT 2009

Back in 1971...when I was doing "Europe On $5 a Week"...I had the
chance to visit a London pub...which had a resident pianist and a LARGE
group of enthusiastic singers-along! (this seems to have been a traditional
activity at UK pubs, predating the ready availability of recorded music?!)!

I think the whole idea of "true amateur" singing has all but disappeared...
people simply CANNOT match the carefully-digitally-edited "music"
heard to-day...?!

Steven C. Barr

Oh, I don't know about that - in any gay piano bar in any city or town
you'll find an enthusiastic crowd singing along to show tunes every night of
the week!

Dave W.