[78-L] Suit Yourself

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Sun Jul 19 20:21:24 PDT 2009

>> Show Boat's songs remained popular for decades, and by the time I was
>> first
> hearing them in the late 40s and the 50s, they were indeed in the semi
> operatic
> repertoire, as well as "kostelanetzed" to death. Kern did manage to do
> some
> interesting twists within the melodies and between them, and the Symphonic
> Scenario On Themes From Show Boat is an enjoyable concert work that casts
> Kern
> in a better light (even if it was really arranged by Robert Russell
> Bennett or
> Morton Gould or whoever ghosted it, and I've heard both names mentioned).
>
> Nothing over-dramatic about "The Song Is You" when Frank Sinatra sang it.
> The
> less said about his white-suited "Ol' Man River"....
>
> dl

Having sat through that creepy Sinatra version (in the creepy musical Kern
bio "Till The Clouds Roll By") several times,  I now wish that the "men in
white suits" had come and taken Frank away,  and a good portion of the rest
of the movie's cast as well.  The only number that I instantly recall as
enjoyable is "I Won't Dance" with Van Johnson...maybe there were other good
ones but I don't remember them.  Oh yeah,  I liked Judy doing Look For The
Silver Lining....shudder to think what the combo of that song and singer
would do to Julian.

I think the best way to really appreciate the greatness of the Porgy and
Bess music is via the Robert Russell Bennett Porgy and Bess Orchestral
Suite...I can listen to it over and over at one sitting.

Taylor