[78-L] Isham Jones 10-3-33

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Jul 19 01:09:21 PDT 2009

Taylor Bowie wrote:
> There are a lot of great  Isham Jones records and many productive recording
> sessions.  Two of his hottest but not-so-famous sides come from the October
> 3,  1933 session for Victor:    "That Dallas Man"  and the stunning "Doin'
> the Uptown Lowdown."
>
> Anybody have any concrete information or good guess on the trumpet on these
> sides...muted solo in a split chorus wtih Jack Jenney on the latter,  and
> open horn behind the Joe Martin vocal on the former.  General opinion seems
> to be Johnny Carlson for the trumpet,  but George Thow was also in the
> section and he's very capable as well.
>
> Actually the trombone sounds more like Sonny Lee than it does Jenney,  but
> Rust says Red Ballard had replaced Lee.   But I rarely trust Rust's
> personnel on records of this type.
>
> Any info,  observations,  educated guesses,  etc.  all welcome.
>
> These two sides are so great...playing Doin' the Uptown Lowdown just now
> was such a pleasure it actually gave me a slight case of giggles...like I
> was enjoying myself too much while I listened!
>

> Taylor
I've never pursued Jones that vigorously--most of the ones that I've
heard haven't been that interesting from a "hot" point of view. Perhaps
I've been unlucky.

      Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4257 (20090718) __________

http://www.eset.com