[78-L] Isham Jones 10-3-33

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Sat Jul 18 15:40:28 PDT 2009

There are a lot of great  Isham Jones records and many productive recording
sessions.  Two of his hottest but not-so-famous sides come from the October
3,  1933 session for Victor:    "That Dallas Man"  and the stunning "Doin'
the Uptown Lowdown."

Anybody have any concrete information or good guess on the trumpet on these
sides...muted solo in a split chorus wtih Jack Jenney on the latter,  and
open horn behind the Joe Martin vocal on the former.  General opinion seems
to be Johnny Carlson for the trumpet,  but George Thow was also in the
section and he's very capable as well.

Actually the trombone sounds more like Sonny Lee than it does Jenney,  but
Rust says Red Ballard had replaced Lee.   But I rarely trust Rust's
personnel on records of this type.

Any info,  observations,  educated guesses,  etc.  all welcome.

These two sides are so great...playing Doin' the Uptown Lowdown just now
was such a pleasure it actually gave me a slight case of giggles...like I
was enjoying myself too much while I listened!

Taylor