[78-L] Strange Fruit

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Jul 18 09:23:30 PDT 2009

Cary Ginell wrote:
> Other than the aforementioned version by Josh White, there have been a few other renditions of "Strange Fruit" over the years. These are ones that I have:
>

> Sidney Bechet (Bluebird)
>
> Ranee Lee (contemporary jazz singer) (Justin Time)
>
> Josh White, Jr. (Silverwolf)
>
> Jimmy Scott (Milestone)
>
> Lou Rawls (Capitol)
>

> None hold up to the Holiday and White recordings, but, in at the same token, none was embarrassing.
>

> Cary Ginell
================
Ignoring later Billie and instrumental versions, here are a few more,
none of which I've heard:

Bill Russo with Shelby Davis vocal.
Carmen McRae.
Diana Ross (twice).
Nina Simone.
Abby Lincoln.
Dee Dee Bridgewater.
Miki Howard.
Denise Jannah.
Terence Blanchard with Jeanie Bryson vocal.
Jacque Tara Washington.

      Julian Vein

__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 4256 (20090718) __________

http://www.eset.com