[78-L] Subject: Re: Collecting vs. 'Investing'

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Fri Jul 17 22:46:16 PDT 2009

From: Steven C. Barr <stevenc at interlinks.net>
> Having spoken to MANY "collectors" (not only of 78's!),
> I would estimate that about 99% of them, regardless of
> what was being collected, were male.!

I have found that there are very few males who collect glassware, china,
dolls, fabrics, figurines, and other such items, but many, many, many
woman who do.  If you looked at Hobbies magazine beyond Jim Walsh's
column you would find that a large percentage of the rest of the
magazine was devoted to woman's collectibles.  When I go to
antique-oriented markets there often are more women than men there.
(Hmmmm, wonder if it might be a good pick-up joint, like they say
supermarkets are?)

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com