[78-L] "instant" collecibles

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Fri Jul 17 19:07:54 PDT 2009

Steven C wrote:

> However, in the last 40-50 years, something new appeared. These
> might be best described as "instant collectibles"...they were made
> available in limited quantities and for limited terms...and were HEAVILY
> promoted as "current/new COLLECTIBLES!" by their manufacturers.
> As well, someone (most likely the manufacturer?!) made sure there
> was a "OFFICIAL Price Guide" available...of course! The fairly
> recent example of this phenomenon is/was "Beanie Babies"...these
> were probably never intended as toys, but instead as "collectables"
> with the implied possibility of getting rich quickly...!

Steve has identified and nailed this phenom all the way.  Only thing I would
add is that although we've seen so much of it in recent years,  it's not an
entirely new phenom.  Along with the Beanies,  there are all the
commemorative plates,  snow globes,  presidential dolls,  etc. and for all I
know,  maybe commemorative bells and whistles as well...most or all with the
dubious price guides to go with it.   You can take all those collectible
price guides and wrap them in all the "COAs" offered on eBay and "throw 'em
in the deep blue sea"...box and ribbon optional.

In the rare book trade,  there are certainly many things which were intended
when new to be expensive and only available for the few.  But there are even
more things which were when new simply run-of-the-mill and cheap
publications which,  as time developed,  became sought after for their
historic importance or association.  And that's much the same with records.
The "average" Paramount blues 78 from the late 20s is going to be worth more
than the "average" Red Seal of the same era...part of that being the
original cost and purpose of the two records was so different.  One was
meant to be a Treasure Forever...the other, something to be played maybe to
death until a newer record came along.

I'm still unable to connect with Steve's contention that  the value of
"records of interest" has remained in the area of a dollar or so each.....I
wish it were true but in my experience it isn't.  And of course none of us
are able to determine on our own if records do or don't increase in value at
one rate or another...the old free market does come into play there and we
couldn't really change that even if we wanted to.

Taylor