[78-L] Billie

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Fri Jul 17 13:58:26 PDT 2009

Julian Vein wrote:
> Cary Ginell wrote:
>> Tomorrow is the 50th anniversary of the death of Billie Holiday. Everyone pull out "God Bless the Child" and give it a spin for Billie. Me? That's too much of a downer to play by itself, so I'm adding her 1935 Brunswick recording of "What a Little Moonlight Can Do" with Benny and Teddy.
>>

>> Cary Ginell
> Never quite understood the sentiment behind the lyric of "God Bless the
> Child". Is it along the lines of "God helps those who help themselves"?
>
>       Julian Vein

That and "I'm all right, Jack."

At the risk of being taken out and shot by this crowd, I'll express my
appreciation for a version by the Anita Kerr Singers we used to play in the
70s. Great choral work and a nice arrangement. It also runs over 5 minutes so
it came in handy as a "trip down the hall" record.