[78-L] My hobby's origins--was: Collecting vs. 'Investing'

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Thu Jul 16 21:09:49 PDT 2009

As a VERY young child (about 3 or so) my father allowed me to play his
78's. He had about 300 records...including a couple of reissue albums of
the Boswell Sisters...and the original Brunswick of the Mills Brothers'
"Good-Bye Blues." Those were all favourites of mine!

Much later my father passed away, and I inherited those records (mainly
because none of my siblings wanted them...?!). In the next couple of
years, I added maybe another 200 records...found in thrift stores and in
"flea markets" (as a dedicated "junque"collector, I hit every flea market
I knew about!). When I finally moved from Illinois to Ontario,I brought
about a thousand 78's with me (along with four half-ton loads of "stuff"...
I bought a 1962 Chevy pick-up at a farm auction for $250, specifically
so I could move all my belongings!).

When I moved to Toronto, I met a couple of chaps important to my
new hobby. The first, Don Keele, ran a used-record store in Toronto,
where he sold LP's, 45's...and *78's*! The latter were VERY reasonably
priced (read "cheap!") and I probably bought a couple thousand 78's
from him, at least! The second, the (now deceased) John Black,
introduced me to the concept of 78 mail auction lists...which I promptly
started subscribing to with enthusiasm (he also ran off with my wife,
much to my dismay!). For a short time, he operated a "78 store" in
downtown Toronto; I couldn't afford most of his merchandise, but
did find the occasional 78 I felt was fairly priced. His store closed
after about a year...but I was buying hundreds of 78's from
various "auction lists" (including some from the UK...one could
afford the postage on the transatlantic mailing of 78's back then!).

Most recently, I have been buying 78's in large lots...VERY
inexpensively (i.e. $100 for 2500 records)! I specifically
avoid buying "rare & valuable" 78's; after all, the same $20
will buy me 20 more common 78's...or often even MORE!

I have recently been going through my "in order" milk boxes...
specifically Victors (so far c.1909-c.1919)...and am often
pleasantly surprised at what I run into! Sort of a "Holy wow!
I didn't know I had THIS!!?" experience (or a series thereof?!)!

Steven C. Barr