[78-L] blue amberols

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Thu Jul 16 17:17:38 PDT 2009

Ron Dethlefson would know, but I think it was said that the raw
celluloid tubes were ugly so they needed to be dyed some color, and blue
would do the trick.  The dying took place before pressing, and the long
unsupported tubes were just dipped into the dye vats.  But the blue
sometimes varied from almost black to a light robin-egg blue.  And don't
forget that the more expensive opera series were Royal Purple.  Some of
the celluloid Lambert cylinders were pink with a white inside, but many
were black.  Indestructibles and U.S. Everlastings were black.  Anybody
see any of those in colors?

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com