[78-L] tolerance

Jack Palmer vdalhart at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 16 15:05:36 PDT 2009

    I appear to be the unusual one amongst you.  I never owned a 78 (or any
record) until I was already in the Army and had the money to buy one.  We
never had a phonograph or any other record player when I was growing up.
Instead we had a big floor model radio.  After I was drafted, the old radio
finally gave out and my father bought a radio/record player combination.  So
the next time I was home on leave I bought a record I wanted to hear and
played it while I was home on leave.  I never saw it again.
    Thirty years later in the early 1970s I started collecting country music
and I noticed that much of the stuff I wanted to listen to was only on 78s.
So I started collecting country 78s.  That is when I ran across Vernon
Dalhart.  At first he was just another artist to be added to my collection.
Soon I found myself concentrating on Dalhart.  In 1991, I sold all my other
78s and most of my LPs and started collecting Dalhart full time.  Eventually
I had over 2500 different Dalhart records.  Once I became unable to carry my
milk boxes full of records, I disposed of my entire collection to two other
collectors.  I still have a few 78s to listen to and I continue to buy
records on __ay when an interesting one pops up.  I also wrote a book on
Dalhart as many of you already know.  I consider myself normal.   I spent 20
years in the US Air Force and another 20 in US Civil Service.  I retired in
1987.    Jack