[78-L] Found A Good One Yesterday

I. Cubillo i.cubillo at telefonica.net
Thu Jul 16 14:45:04 PDT 2009

Mal wrote...

Subject: [78-L] Found A Good One Yesterday

Hey Everyone - These kinds of finds don't happen every day & I don't expect
it to happen again in my lifetime really, but yesterday I found a solid V+
copy of Gennett-6311, Blackbirds of Paradise, Muddy Water/Sugar!!! After all
these years, it was just sitting in a Victrola amidst all the regular
records, waiting for someone like me to pluck it out! ....
[...] Seems like most of these magic record in a Victrola stories are just
that - one odd (but great) record in a group that have nothing in common!?!

Yes, Mal... Sometimes it happens. I've repeatedly reported the story of me
myself, one boring and cold sunday morning (Feb. 24, 2002) at the Rastro
(our antike-goodwill store-flea market district in Madrid) when I entered a
cheapo' things hodge-podge store run by portugese people. Almost all in the
shop was used clothes, old house appliances, some books, cheap surplus
stationery material and the like. I asked for records and the woman said
"Sure... we've got some LPs". He pointed out a rack at the deeps of the
shop. I asked again for 78s, and she said there were some of them among the
LPs. Surprisingly, I found just there a mint copy of Electrola EG-2606, by
the Comedian Harmonists (Heute nacht oder nie / Auf wiedersehen my dear).
You'll never know how rare are the CH records here in Spain, and even it was
an original Electrola... ¿HTH that beast arrived here? Who knows!

Inigo