[78-L] tolerance

Bill McClung bmcclung at ix.netcom.com
Thu Jul 16 09:47:32 PDT 2009

I am a 78rpmcoholic.  Yet I'm not strange.   I have an enthusiasm that
sometimes borders on an obsession but it does not consume or dominate my
life.  This is not denial talkling.  I have many people in my life making
sure I don't fall through the labels and disappear.  And because of this
balance these same people are interested in my 78s and have been known to
spend an evening here and there with me as we see what we can hear.

I'm looking forward to the time when I can retire from full time work and
spend more of my time on my collection.  Until then I am happy to go where
my enthusiam takes me and if I have those several thousand 78s I haven't
played or even cataloged yet calling to me from my music room then I'll
just have to get to them when I can.

I hope to never become my father who was consumed by Civil War history and
as he grew older talked more and more of little else.  He was a southerner
who thought the North was right so he may have had other issues than just
the need to explain to me the blow-by-blow and shot-by-shot events that
turned the tide at the Battle Of for the seventeenth time.  Maybe I will
but I hope I won't.

I'm happy to have Steven B. collect them all.  I'm happy to have Royal P.
notice the hiss in a transfer.  I'm happy to have Mr. Biel shout at the
educational establishment.  I'm happy and a little jealous to have someone
else find the good stuff at their local Goodwill store.   I don't know how
many members of 78-L there are but I'm happy there are that many who are
out there in the world preserving and enjoying our musical heritages and
sharing their thoughts and allowing me glimpses into their lives as they do
it.  I don't read every post or follow every thread.  My knowledge of and
interest in Portugese 78s before 1920 is fairly limited.  So is your
knowledge of or interest in Texas label 78s.  But I do try to log on every
day.  I feel I'm part of a very tolerant and, for the most part, patient
community.

If you really want to spend some time in the middle of a group of eccentics
then have a cup of coffee in a booth at the 24-hour gas station/Wendy's in
Van Horn, Texas some 3 am and just look and listen.

I am a 78rpmcoholic and I'm proud of it.  I'm in very good company.