[78-L] tolerance

smille1 at nycap.rr.com smille1 at nycap.rr.com
Thu Jul 16 04:29:02 PDT 2009

And right you are, Martha.  It's very obvious we have someone here (who,
btw, isn't even using his "real" name, right Buster?) with some sort of
issue that goes far deeper.

We have on this list, as well as off it, an extremely fascinating network
of record collectors.  I've been fortunate enough over the 10 years or so
I've been part of 78-L to actually MEET many of our members in person.
I've also worked with a few of them on a couple of projects, CD reisuues,
transfers, research, etc.  We all might very well be slightly "off our
rockers", but, Buster, have you ever hung out with say, antique car
collectors?  (Oh yes, you have, I know this...shhh...) or phonograph
collectors?  The answer is yes, again, I know several of your "friends".
I've always found it funny that some of the quirkiest of them all are the
quickest to point out "flaws" in other collectors.  I'm not interested in
arguing with you or anyone else at this point in my life because quite
frankly, I have better things to do with my time these days, but this
really gets under my skin.  How many people on 78-L do you personally know?
Do you ever get to any of the big shows where you can often meet a numver
of us?  I do and I look greatly forward to each and every one.  It's always
a pleasure to see the Biels at the Wayne show even if only for a brief
"hello" before I leave for home.  Dr. Biel always has a welcome smile and
warm wit to exchange.

Since you've decided to pick on someone (Dr. Biel AND his daughter, for
example) both of whom I consider to be extremely helpful and friendly
people, I feel it's important to point out something you did to me several
years ago when you bought an Edison item from me on Ebay.  You not only
refused to pay shipping charges of $1 for a paper catalog, you never even
bothered to leave feedback.  For those of you wondering what this may have
been, it was a monthly Edison supplement for late 1928, left over dealer's
stock in mint shape (I had a few of each of these and got rid of them 6 or
7 years ago).  Were you just "too busy" being a "normal guy" with a "normal
life" and "normal family" to even bother with a 20 second feedback, or
perhaps you were busy planning a personal attack on somebody through an
anonymous nom-du-computer?  Was that extra buck so hard to let go of
because, perhaps, you felt shipping charges were too high?  I sent you the
catalog anyway, because, as many people here whom I know pesonally will
tell you, not only am I a pretty "normal" guy here myself, but I am also a
nice person who has the utmost respect for most other collectors 99% of the
time.

With all due respect,

Sean