[78-L] I am also Gull-able

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Wed Jul 15 22:07:43 PDT 2009

From: "Taylor Bowie" <bowiebks at isomedia.com>
> I don't think there is any "family" of labels from the 20s
> and early 30s that is more curious and contains more musical
> "surprises" (good and bad!) than does good old Grey Gull and Friends.

I've told this story before, but when noted Danish collector and
historical expert George Brock-Nannestad made his first visit to the
U.S. in the early 80s, his first stop was at my house.  I had to finish
off grading some final exams, so I let him loose in the basement.  Much
to my surprise when I stopped down there for a break about a half-hour
later he was looking intently at the box of Grey Gull family records.  I
asked him what was so interesting about that junk to him.  He said that
he had often read about them in Europe had never come across any of them
yet.  The following year when I was visiting him in Denmark I found
myself looking thru all the unusual Nordic labels that we never see in
the U.S. but were common trash over in Europe.  It's part of what makes
world traveling fun -- sightseeing in record stores.  (Leah just said
"Absolutely!")

Mike (we also crave Milka chocolate) Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com