[78-L] Collecting vs. "investing"

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Wed Jul 15 21:31:52 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Taylor Bowie" <bowiebks at isomedia.com>
> Steven C wrote to us:
>> Well, I will admit that the collecting of 78rpm phonorecords DOES
>> require a substantial degree of eccentricity...which is probably why
>> most of the authors in that field come from the British Isles (where
>> eccentricity is not only tolerated...it is to some extent admired!)...?!
>> I don't know if the students of the human mind have EVER figured out
>> what drives selected humans to set out to collect EVERY variety of
>> one (or often more) specific artifact; however, in the 21st century
>> this is increasingly overlaid with the belief that the collection once
>> accumulated will be worth some LARGE sum of money (which
>> means the collectors are actually collecting MONEY...?!).
>
> I see what Steve is saying,  but I think it's a  fallacy is to assume that
> because some things are worth money,  and because some people collect/save
> them because they are worth money,  that therefore alll or most of the
> people who collect that commodity do so because of the value,  the
> bragging
> rights,  or as a way of  "investing."
>
> I do spend a fair amount of money on records,   but I do not do so because
> am trying to salt away for my old age (which will be here too damn soon)
> or
> impress anyone  (like who,  for instance?  Not my accountant or 99% of  my
> friends and family!).     The cost and value of the material I collect is
> really more of a bother than it is a benefit...I don't expect to be
> liquidating my collection any time soon (if ever) so the fact that someone
> (for one example)  thinks all my Blue Wax Columbias in N- are worth
> such-and-such is of no concern to me...I bought them and keep them because
> like them and am interested in preserving and studying the music and the
> history that goes with it...and learning more about it via 78-L and
> elsewhere.
>
> I think this is an interesting topic and hope others will chime in about
> their collecting "motives."

Note that I specifically WASN'T suggesting that 78 collectors are doing so
for financial reasons...in fact, it is probably one of the LEAST "money-
driven" collecting hobbies! I was thinking more of other collecting
hobbies...
for the most part the more recent thereof.For example, the fading (if not
defunct) craze of "Beanie Babies" was to a fair extent profit-driven...and
both old cars and sports cards have also (or seem to me to be) promoted
as "good investments" these days.

I doubt if I have spent $10,000 IN TOTAL for 78's in my over thirty
years of record collecting...and I could give a merry <deleted> about
what they might be worth...now or "someday!" I collect 78's because
(1) I enjoy listening to virtually all of them I own (and, yes, I DO enjoy
listening to vocal records of the 1900-1925 era...REALLY!...as well
as Guy Lombardo, and the dreaded Jesse Crawford!!)...and...
(2) I am unduly fascinated with the "science" of discography...so
owning "complete runs" of vintage labels is also another goal of mine!
(3) Further, I have some VERY strange fascinations/interests...for
example, I DELIBERATELY look for and buy Canadian labels/
series. I am probably close to complete on the Victor(C) 216xxx
series...and own a lot of the Canadian-only Columbia series as
well (R4xxx, a few R2xxx and the 16XXX-D's which I am helping
list!).

I also look for Grey Gull label issues...and my most recent interest
is (are) the four or six track 78's of the late forties into the fifties,
which are AFAIK COMPLETELY unresearched at this point...?!

My Asperger's Syndrome autism has left me with an overwhelming
interest in finding/arranging/studying data...!

Steven C. Barr