[78-L] Collecting vs. "investing"

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Wed Jul 15 20:03:16 PDT 2009

Steven C wrote to us:

> Well, I will admit that the collecting of 78rpm phonorecords DOES
> require a substantial degree of eccentricity...which is probably why
> most of the authors in that field come from the British Isles (where
> eccentricity is not only tolerated...it is to some extent admired!)...?!
>
> I don't know if the students of the human mind have EVER figured out
> what drives selected humans to set out to collect EVERY variety of
> one (or often more) specific artifact; however, in the 21st century
> this is increasingly overlaid with the belief that the collection once
> accumulated will be worth some LARGE sum of money (which
> means the collectors are actually collecting MONEY...?!).

I see what Steve is saying,  but I think it's a  fallacy is to assume that
because some things are worth money,  and because some people collect/save
them because they are worth money,  that therefore alll or most of the
people who collect that commodity do so because of the value,  the bragging
rights,  or as a way of  "investing."

I do spend a fair amount of money on records,   but I do not do so because I
am trying to salt away for my old age (which will be here too damn soon) or
impress anyone  (like who,  for instance?  Not my accountant or 99% of  my
friends and family!).     The cost and value of the material I collect is
really more of a bother than it is a benefit...I don't expect to be
liquidating my collection any time soon (if ever) so the fact that someone
(for one example)  thinks all my Blue Wax Columbias in N- are worth
such-and-such is of no concern to me...I bought them and keep them because I
like them and am interested in preserving and studying the music and the
history that goes with it...and learning more about it via 78-L and
elsewhere.

I think this is an interesting topic and hope others will chime in about
their collecting "motives."

Taylor