[78-L] BB albums and oddball labels

Han Enderman jcenderman at solcon.nl
Wed Jul 15 14:22:56 PDT 2009

I have images of 4 Seger records:
7003 & 7004 by Bernice Parks, acc. Fred Norman O.
7009 by Marie Rapp, acc. Ellis Larkins
7013 by Mary Ann Kelly, acc. Mundell Lowe O.
The latter 2 issues have been reported in Names & Numbers magazine
(since it was such a rare label of at least some jazz interest) by Howard Rye and me,
and I was just preparing a note about the Parks records.
Do you have one of these or a different one? I think it is the well-known Fred Norman,
considering the jazz acc. on the other issues.

Bruyninckx lists a single record by Togge Smythe:
TOGGE SMYTHE
Togge Smythe and the Four Sounds : Togge Smythe (ts) with unknown p, b and d
Unknown loc. and date
North wind Coleman 106
Harlem conference -
Smythe is mentioned in: Swing City: Newark Nightlife, 1925-50 by Barbara J. Kukla.

Can you give the discographical info (cat.nr, titles, mxs) of the Onyx issue?

Han Enderman
===
>>> Now, another subject. Picked up recently in a Stamford Goodwill, three 78s
with labels I don't think I've seen before. The Seger label (manufactured by
Imperial Crown Specialties in NYC) with Bernice Parks (a Copacabana star and
one-time vocalist with Russ Morgan's Orch) acc. By Fred Norman's Orch (the
big band arranger??).

The other is a good jump blues record on the Onyx label (manufactured by
Onyx on 701-7th Ave, NYC) with The Togge Smythe Booters. And the last is
(and I believe this label has been talked about on 78-l) is Top-Ten Hits
with one Jesse Perry performing "Jezebel" and "Because of Rain" - pop stuff.

Any thoughts out there?

Scott Wenzel
<<<