[78-L] FW: cymbals use in the 20'

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Tue Jul 14 20:33:58 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "martha" <MLK402 at verizon.net>
> >From the photos I am seeing, it appeared to be a standard, single cymbal,
> mounted on the bass drum.  I assume the drummer struck it with the
> drumstick
> & then stopped the vibrations with his hand.

AFAIK, this was the case! There is a (very good) "New Orleans Revival" jazz
band which has played Grossman's Tavernette in Toronto for over forty
years...
they take pains to ACCURATELY copy the N.O. bands of the twenties/
thirties. Their drummer uses the exact set-up you describe...a single cymbal
atop the bass drum, which is "muted" by hand when that effect is desired.

Steven C. Barr