[78-L] trivia

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Tue Jul 14 13:43:20 PDT 2009

DAVID BURNHAM wrote:
> Well, in the teens Toscanini had  quite  a disagreement with either his wife
> or Geraldine Farrar about his ...ahem... friendship, to be euphemistic, with
> the latter. This was the main reason , I understand, that he left the Met
> and went back to La Scala . It was that orchestra that he took on the tour
> which was the begiinning of his  reputation as an orchestral conductor of
> the premier rank rather than  a conducto who was primarly an operatic one.
> This  tour was his introduction to the recording studio.
>
> Am I warm?
>
> Jim Tennyson

> Yes, you're quite warm.  In fact it was the disagreement with the Met, which was officially because of his inability to control the various aspects of production that he insisted on.  But why did it probably save his life?
>
> db

Okay, now it's time for a wild guess or two. He skipped town before Farrar's
husband could shoot him. He skipped town before Mrs. Toscanini could shoot him.
He planned on skipping town but missed the boat which turned out to be the
Lusitania and actually did open that whorehouse and run it for a couple of
years, the happiest of his life.