[78-L] My first time with Hildegarde

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue Jul 14 10:40:57 PDT 2009

From: "Taylor Bowie" <bowiebks at isomedia.com>
> First Hildegarde record I ever bought (junque shoppe, c. 1965) was
> the black label Decca of her with Lombardo (!) doing a really nasty
> novelty song "One-Zy, Two-Zy" which has something in it to offend
> almost everyone on 78-L. Gushing sincerity, quasi-comedy, baby-talk
> lyrics...and Lombardo! Of course I liked it for some clearly preverse
> reasons and still have a copy, although it's not been played in some time.

Is this the same song Eddie Cantor recorded on, I think, Pan American?

> I do like the Darling, Je Vous etc. etc. song altough I'm more
> partial to the Nat Cole version.  Taylor

THAT was one of the first 45s I ever bought myself with my own money
when I was about 8.  Actually I bought it more for the flip side "The
Sand and the Sea" but it was a double-hit.  And these original versions
are much better than the stereo re-records Cole did for The Nat King
Cole Story set.  His style had changed to a less enunciating style by
then.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com