[78-L] The Boogie Man; ? about soundtrack records?

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Mon Jul 13 16:18:33 PDT 2009

Julian,

My Todd Rollins Perfect of  The Boogie Man credits only Sam Coslow.

I have another odd record of the song.  It's on a plain typewritten label
and credits Guy Lombardo and his Royal Canadians  vocal refrain by Joan
Marsh and Lombardo Trio from prod. MANY HAPPY RETURNS.  The number 79195 is
typed on the label and stamped in the runoff.

The other side is:   "A Bowl of Chop Suey and You-ey" Ben Bernie and his
Orchestra vocal refrain by Ben Bernie,  Roscoe Karns & Trio from production
Thank Your Stars.  #79196 on label and in runoff.

I have another one,  same kind of deal,  of Ben Bernie doing  Take A Lesson
from the Lark b/w Do I Love You,  both from Shoot The Works.

They don't seem to be or sound like dubs off the soundtracks...could they
have actually been recorded on disk and then dubbed to the soundtracks of
the moves?  Often in musicals of the period you can hear when the soundtrack
switches from on set to dubbed.

One neat thing about the Shoot The Works disk is that it's a rare chance to
hear the singing of Dorothy Dell,  who made a big impression in a few movies
but was killed in a car wreck in 1934 at age 19.