[78-L] Raunchy old Kay Starr 78

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Jul 13 13:20:55 PDT 2009

From: Julian Vein <julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk>
> It was good enough for Mae West, and Julia Lee who was
> recording similar material for Capitol at the time.

And many other records going back to even before the turn of the last
century.  "And Other Things To Numerous To Mention" by Burt Shepherd in
1902 is pretty racy, as were some Helen Kane songs.  In "He's So
Unusual" is the line "I would let him pet me, but the darn fool doesn't
let me."  And Mae sang "I Guy What Takes His Time."  And all of those
racy blues songs by Bessie Smith and others.  Around the same time as
the Kay Starr record in question was the song "Pet Me Papa".  Mary
Martin did a strip tease to "My Heart Belongs To Daddy" in the 1930s.
Perhaps only Barnacle Bill and Old Man Mose got around to POSSIBLY
saying the George Carlin-type words in mainstream records, and records
NOW are using these words and more, but there were some pretty racy
things recorded before this current generation became the first to
discover sex.  Just look at all the tracks reissued by Stash Records!

Mike Biel   mbiel at mbiel.com