[78-L] Raunchy old Kay Starr 78

Jim Whipkey suuford at msn.com
Mon Jul 13 11:46:24 PDT 2009

  I'm  really far behind on reading the 78 list posts,  been spending much of the last few weeks  listening to 3 separate acquistions of  78s,  just finished the last one, still have to clean, catalog and  re-check, but  one  really stands out.  I have a Capitol record by Kay Starr called Steady Daddy.  Would presume it was recorded at least 50 years ago, maybe more, but--------I was dumbfounded by the  lyrics!  Even by todays standards, it seems pretty racy.  I can't imagine how it got  recorded  back then, unless the censors were so naïve to not recognize what I  am hearing now. Or maybe  it's a case of the old joke which has the punch line, "Don't blame me, you're the one drawing the dirty pictures".  The record is Capitol 2718Z,  says Blues Vocal with Orchestra, Steady Daddy (Vernon White) Kay Starr with Dave Cavanaugh's music, featuring  Red Norvo, vibes:  Arnold Ross, Piano:  Jack Marshall, guitar.   It's a song  about  a woman telling a man "you know what I like, take it slow", etc.    What does anyone know about  this record?  The flip side is So Tired,  which only says Kay Starr with Orchestra.

  Oh, I've  gotten two new  file cabinets to store my latest records and it isn't enough space. There's a lot of junk there, but some really interesting stuff,  several of which I  think are  worth some  decent money.

  Jim Whipkey