[78-L] stereo, ca. 1932, celluose acetate pressings?

Mwcpc2 at aol.com Mwcpc2 at aol.com
Sat Jul 11 07:32:54 PDT 2009

In a message dated 7/9/2009 3:52:19 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
mbiel at mbiel.com writes:

When  Presto introduced the lacquer disc in Oct 1934 they called it The
Presto  Disc.  In the recording industry as other companies came into  the
field, the name lacquer started to be used, but the broadcasters  had
started using the word acetate.  As early as 1940 AudioDevices in  their
book "How To Make Good Recordings" mentioned several times that the  word
acetate was improper, but I am not sure broadcasters knew how to  read
books.

************************

If anyone is interested in a highly technical discussion of the recording
technology of that time, I can send  a .pdf file of:

A Treatise on Practical Wax Recording
EVERITTE  K. BARNES, M. E.
RECORDING ENGINEER
Copyright 1936
Universal Microphone Company

Please request at _MWCPC at aol.com_ (mailto:MWCPC at aol.com)  (no "2") since
there seems to be  some problems with this 78-l address.

WARNING!

The author consistently refers to  instantaneous discs as acetate! For
example:

"The costs involved in the production of wax  recordings are considerably
higher than those of acetate or instantaneous. The  combined costs of
preparation. materials, processing and finished product are  responsible for this
difference. If, however, the acetate disc is to be  processed in order to be
assured of any number of duplicates, which by the way  is now perfectly
possible, the costs will be very closely allied to those of  wax."

Viewer discretion is  advised.

steps!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1221823300x1201398714/aol?redir=http://www.freecreditreport.com/pm/default.aspx?sc=668072&hmpgID=62&bcd=
JulystepsfooterNO62)