[78-L] Canadian dance bands

Steven C. Barr stevenc at interlinks.net
Fri Jul 10 19:59:12 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "DAVID BURNHAM" <burnhamd at rogers.com>
>I just borrowed from the library a CD called "Dance Bands from Canada,
>1922 - 1930". One surprise on this disc is a selection by Waring's
>Pensylvanians. Unfortunately a previous borrower removed all the inner
>pages from the booklet leaving only the cover so if there's an explanation
>in there about how or when this band came from Canada, I don't have access
>to it.

One of the important members of Waring's band was Fred Culley...who
started his own band c.1929, and who cut eight sides in Montreal which
were issued in 1930! These four records number among the VERY few
Canadian dance-band records issued after VTM took over Herbert
Berliner's HMV-Victor Canadian operation in 1923...see the NLC site
for further deatails...!

...stevenc