[78-L] A guy with plenty of pluck

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Fri Jul 10 13:16:03 PDT 2009

>> ===========
>> Shame the bass player keeps reverting to two-in-a-bar.
>>
>>      Julian Vein
>
> The Tommy Dorsey Orchestra seldom strayed from 2/4.
>
> Al S.

Hi Al,

The bass on the Shilkret record isn't playing in 2/4...I wasn't sure what
Julian meant until I went and played it again just now.  I'd never
previously noticed,  but the bass player sounds like he's going
"pluck-pluck-rest-rest" in most bars.  It's odd but doesn't detract from the
record.  Is that what you're hearing,  Julian?

I love Gene Traxler's bass playing with Dorsey and earlier with Haymes.
Gene does the vocal on the Haymes of  "It's All Forgotten Now" and of course
there's no bass during that part.  When the vocal ends there are two more
"baseless" bars and then there's Gene back with a big fat 2/4...very
effective for some reason.  A great record.

Taylor