[78-L] Shilkret "Coast To Coast"

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Fri Jul 10 12:39:16 PDT 2009

>> Jack Shilkret Orch. Melotone of "I Love You From Coast To Coast."  One of
>> the last and also one of the greatest dance band records from the "studio
>> band era."  Flawless,  easy-swing pop stuff....stunning to realize the
>> care
>> and polish they would put into making a record which cost a quarter,  and
>> would likely be forgotten by most people in a few months.
>>

>> Taylor
> ===========
> Shame the bass player keeps reverting to two-in-a-bar.
>
>      Julian Vein

Well I had to go play it to see what Julian meant.  I hear the two-in-a-bar
from the bass,  but don't find it distracting or that it makes a problem for
the rest of  rhythm section.  Guitar,  drums and especially piano (Thornhill
or who?) keep things going in a very smooth manner.  It's propulsive enough
even without a strong and steady bass line.

Julian,  do you have it on an English pressing like maybe a Rex or some
such?  It took me a long time to find a real clean Melotone which played
well.  It has been one of my favorite records since I first heard it in
1967.

Taylor