[78-L] Hugo and Luigi Research

Steve Thornton fnarf at comcast.net
Fri Jul 10 10:05:23 PDT 2009

> Como made a whole bunch of very good records in the 30's when
> he was with
> Ted Weems.

Como is enjoying a new life here in Seattle, where his masterpiece "Seattle"
("the bluest skies you've ever seen" etc.) is sort of the theme song for the
Seattle Sounders soccer club, and at their home matches you have the
spectacle of 30,000 rabid green-painted fans roaring out the song as loud as
they possibly can, with Perry booming out of the speakers and the lyric up
on the scoreboard. I don't think too many of them know that the ditty was an
actual hit record.

It's not my favorite song by a long stretch but I'd rather hear that than
the marching band's (yes, we have a marching band too) version of Bob
Marley's "No Woman No Cry", which may not be the worst song of all time,
though it's gotta be close, but it's definitely the least appropriate
marching band tune I've ever heard.