[78-L] Bad news on record

Robert Shirer rshirer at neb.rr.com
Thu Jul 9 21:30:41 PDT 2009

Hi all,
Some have mentioned the Smothers Brothers Chocolate song, but they also did
a wonderful version of "Hangman, Hangman Slack Your Rope", which resulted in
in "slack it for a gllllp. . . . "  Quite gruesome, if you think about it.

And with specific reference to StevenC's reference of the teenage death
songs of the fifties and early sixties, Steve Goodman did a wonderful medley
of,. as he put it, "dead girl songs" which is on the 2 CD compilation of his
wonderful stuff: "No Big Surprise: the Steve Goodman Anthology".   He wanted
to borrow a cowboy hat from the audience, but all they had was a motorcycle
helmut.  So he did "Born to be Wild", followed by "Teen Angel", "Tell Laurie
I Love Her", and, as he said, "I'll never have another chance to sing this":
"(Laurie) Strange Things Happen". I don't have the specific information, but
Rounder put out an lp, many years ago, with a range of teenage suicide
songs; it grandly included a kleenix dispenser.  I kindly gave my brother
and sister copies, but hadn't the wit to buy one for myself.  Oh well. . .
Cheers,
Bob Shirer