[78-L] Bad news on record

Margaret Still mgstill at bellsouth.net
Thu Jul 9 20:08:36 PDT 2009

A few more historical tragedies:

The West Plains Explosion - Vernon Dalhart

The Newmarket Wreck - Mr. & Mrs. J.W. Baker

Somehow we have missed floods:

HIGH WATER EVERYWHERE - Charlie Patton

Rising High Water Blues - Blind Lemon Jefferson

Wild Water Blues - Kokomo Arnold

The 1927 Flood - ELDERS MCINTORSH & EDWARDS

The Mississippi Flood - Vernon Dalhart

And One more, in calypso:

RUN COME SEE JERUSALEM- BLIND BLAKE & HIS CALYPSONIANS

(Not the " Skeedle Loo Doo " Blind Blake)

Lyrics follow.

Best,
Margaret G. Still
=======

RUN, COME, SEE JERUSALEM (Singout! version)
By Blind Blake

It was nineteen-hundred and twenty-nine. (Run come see, run come see.)
Me see, I remember that day pretty well.
It was in nineteen-hundred and twenty-nine. (Run come see Jerusalem.)

That day, they were talking about a storm in the islands.
My God, what a beautiful morning!
They were talking about a storm in the islands.

That day, there were three ships a-leaving out the harbor,
The Ethel and the Myrtle and the Pretoria.
There were three ships a-leaving out the harbor.

These ships were bound for a neighboring island,
With mothers and children on board.
These ships were bound for a neighboring island.

The Pretoria was out on the ocean,
Rocking from side to side.
The Pretoria was out on the ocean.

Right then, it was a big sea built up in the northwest.
They were out on the perilous ocean.
Then it was a big sea built up in the northwest.

My God, when the first wave hit the Pretoria,
The mothers come a-holding onto the children.
My God, when the first wave hit the Pretoria.

My God, there were thirty-three souls on the water,
Swimming and praying to the good Lord God.
There were thirty-three souls on the water.

My God, now George Brown he was the captain.
He shouted, "My children, come pray."
My God, now George Brown he was the captain.

He said, "Come now, witness your judgment."