[78-L] Hugo and Luigi Research

Jeff Sultanof jeffsultanof at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 16:51:49 PDT 2009

In fact, the singers who backed Como in all those RCA recordings used to
call him Perry Coma because his singing didn't sound like he was working
very hard (his recording sessions also used to take place at 7:30 in the
morning, a tough time for most professional musicians). This is first-hand
information, by the way. I knew many of these people years after the fact.

And yet I used to have some mid-forties recordings he made, and he could
sing with great power and expression if he wanted to. Too few people have
heard them, and I don't know if his early solo recordings have been reissued
off the top of my head. My ex-girlfirend performed on one of his shows in
1956, and couldn't say enough wonderful things about him.  He was enormously
successful singing 'relaxed,' so what can we say?

Jeff Sultanof

boring as I did Eddy Arnold in the sixties.In the Rock and Roll vein,there