[78-L] Baby, It's Cold Outside

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Wed Jul 8 18:05:23 PDT 2009

When Edison shifted to celluloid for cylinders in the summer of 1912, one of
the earlier Blue Amberol titles issued was #379, "Nearer My God To Thee", by
the Knickerbocker Quartet, in response to the already prevalent reports of
the band's having played it as the Titanic sank. Later research suggests
that while the story of the band's stoicism was true, the identity of
"Nearer My God To Thee" as the last song may be apochryphal.

Warren

There is still an argument about that...surviving radio operator Harold
Bride identified the last tune heard as "Autumn" which many took to be some
old English hymn.  Later research indicated that Bride may have been
describing a  European pop tune of 1912 called "Song d'Autumne" (pardon my
bad French spelling).  Anybody have a record of THAT forgotten composition?

I have some old thing on the Kalamazoo label about the lifeboats on the
Titanic...a lot of folks  covered Nearer My God To Thee on record in 1912.

Taylor