[78-L] Bad news on record

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Wed Jul 8 16:53:51 PDT 2009

> Down In The U-17 - Billy Murray
> Throw Out The Life Line - Henry Burr
>
> Bud

Did something bad happen to the U-17?    Does Throw Out The Lifeline mention
a specific ship or ships?  I'm looking for more pre-WW2 songs/records which
are about specific ship or maritime disasters.

Well,  actually I look for songs about any horrible event,  be it a
kidnapping, murder,  fire, flood,  etc. up to but NOT including war-related
material.   I have at least one song about almost every damn disaster which
happened between 1912 and 1946 (Winecoff Hotel fire) except for the big
Molasses Flood in Massachusetts in 1918 and maybe one or two others.  This
includes more obscure things like the Santa Barbara Earthquake of 1925,  the
Ohio Prison Fire,  kidnapping and murder of Marion Parker,  deaths of Bryan,
Valentino, Sacco and Vanzetti,  Florence Mills,  John Dillinger,  Pretty Boy
Floyd,  Lindbergh Baby, Huey Long,  Floyd Collins,  etc. etc.

Has anyone ever seen a record of a song mourning the death of President
Harding?  Or about the Hartford Circus Fire or Boston Cocoanut Grove fire?
I'm guessing the latter two might have been covered in some country or
religious song but don't know of any.   How about the Hindenburg crash?  I
have the Herb Morrison radio account on a Melotone but are there any songs
about it on record?   My latest disaster song is The Burning of the Winecoff
Hotel by Leroy Abernathy on the White Church label, c. 1946-47.

Taylor