[78-L] 78 collectors

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Wed Jul 8 08:44:14 PDT 2009

> Sammy Jones (who's been collecting since about 1996, and whose first 78s
> were Frank Crumit singing "Margie" on Columbia and somebody singing "I'm
> Just a Vagabond Lover" on Velvet Tone)

Sammy,

The latter is by Jack Miller,  a fine singer and piano player who was
accompanist to Kate Smith for some time.  He made a lot of vocal records for
the Harmony labels and a few sides for Okeh...a light voice but very musical
and expressive.

I recently purchased his Okeh version of When Your Lover Has Gone (under the
name Vic Lewis)...just voice and (I assume) his own piano.  Superb version
of a wonderful song.

Taylor