[78-L] More on 78 RPM Record Packing

Stephen Davies SDavies at mtroyal.ca
Wed Jul 8 08:38:12 PDT 2009

Ken,
        it's a really good primer for newbies on how to ship discs intact.
 I have received some of the sloppiest packing, in which a miracle
occurred and nothing broke, but I still want a polite way to point out the
better techniques.  Your page will be great for that.  That's good
photography too.
        One point which isn't obvious to newbies is that the box should be
larger than the discs, to allow padding on all six sides.   You might
caution people, too, that their experience in shipping vinyl doesn't
prepare them for shipping the more fragile shellac.  Do you ask them to
mark the box as fragile?
        There is a type of peanut which is more plastic than styrofoam,
and it doesn't build up a static charge.  (I think this is where our
recycled pop bottes go.)  I just phoned UHaul for the name, and they don't
supply it.  Maybe someone else knows.
        In all parts of Canada, even those of us outside of Ontari-ario,
we spell the word "corrugated", but maybe Webster had different ideas.
        Thanks again.
- Stephen D
in Calgary

addressed, and may
contain confidential, personal, and or privileged information. Please
contact the sender
immediately if you are not the intended recipient of this communication,
and do not copy,
distribute, or take action relying on it. Any communication received in
error, or subsequent
reply, should be deleted or destroyed.