[78-L] Found A Good One Yesterday

Jon Noring jon at noring.name
Tue Jul 7 18:09:15 PDT 2009

Malcolm wrote:

> Hey Everyone - These kinds of finds don't happen every day & I don't
> expect it to happen again in my lifetime really, but yesterday I found a
> solid V+ copy of Gennett-6311, Blackbirds of Paradise, Muddy
> Water/Sugar!!! After all these years, it was just sitting in a Victrola
> amidst all the regular records, waiting for someone like me to pluck it
> out! I really think my heart stopped for a moment & it is almost
> impossible to accurately describe the feeling! Even last night I had a
> hard time sleeping!
>
> Seriously, this was the only decent record in the group. How the hell did
> it get there??
> Luckily the owner sold me the record without having to buy the machine -
> but I would have if I had to.
>
> What's the best record you've ever found in a Victrola?

Back when I was actively collecting 78s, my best "Victrola" find was a
*mint N-* copy of Jimmy Noone's "It's Tight Like That" (on Vocalion). All
the other records were the usual common white dance/personality. I
paid one dollar for it. When I sold it a few years later through Bill
Frase's auction, I think I got a $160 or $210 bid on it. It was an
amazing record sonically, playing almost like a test pressing (the
shellac was that smooth, which amazed me.)

Wish I had that record now!

Jon Noring