[78-L] Hugo and Luigi Research

Jeff Sultanof jeffsultanof at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 17:49:44 PDT 2009

Hugo Peretti was an arranger who worked for Mercury Records (Sarah Vaughan
was one singer he wrote for). Luigi Creatore had some big band arranging
credits. They became very hot producers once they moved over to RCA Victor
(I well remember a Perry Como record "Catarina.") They also wrote the score
to a Broadway flop called "Maggie Flynn."

They produced the infamous "A Man Ain't Supposed to Cry," perhaps one of the
worst vocal LPs ever made by a major singer (Joe Williams). The arranger was
Jimmy Mundy, who wrote horrible arrangements; the string writing is
laughable. This album was one of the reasons they were fired from Roulette
Records.

Jeff Sultanof