[78-L] Mantovani & "Oh, Canada"

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca
Tue Jul 7 16:46:06 PDT 2009

He did tons of stuff with a dance orchestra in the 30s, mostly for English
Columbia but also for some small labels. He plays the violin on a number of
them as well..I kinda like "Serenade In The Night". And his "Donkey Serenade"
was in print on green label Canadian Columbia for years. The "Charmaine" style
didn't come along till as late as 1950..through the 40s his stuff was more in
concert orchestra or theatre orchestra style (see Naxos 8.120516).
http://www.naxos.com/catalogue/item.asp?item_code=8.120516
No, Joe "King" Oliver didn't compose "Prelude to the Stars"..I wonder how the
hell that got in there? That would have been an interesting concept. Mantovani
Plays King Oliver. Zulu's Ball and the works.

Let's see what your spel chequer does with "Malletoba Spank", one of my
favorite late Ellington pieces.

dl