[78-L] Non-Transcription OTR on 78 (was Decca Specialty Series(DAU-x))

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Jul 6 21:42:42 PDT 2009

From: David Lennick <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
> I'm wondering if distribution was a little spotty..the albums
> credit something called "Monitor" as distributor, a name I
> don't know in this context.

This was their first and only venture.  They were hoping to sell the
albums in non-traditional locations like radio departments and stores,
not just record departments and record stores.  Since they were not too
successful there wasn't a second release, so they shot their whole wad
with this one release.

> Apollo is credited with manufacturing, which may tell you about
> the quality of the pressings.  dl

Apollo had just bought a pressing plant and did these as contract
pressings on material that was several grades below that of Grey Gull.
I've come across articles about these in Broadcasting magazine,
Billboard, Variety, etc.  I think it was George Blacker who told me he
had gotten the whole set as a real cheap close-out in perhaps Macy's for
perhaps 5 bucks total.  I think I have only three and a few loose discs.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com